lundi, juillet 21, 2014

Partiality in Recorded Violence: Social Media Influence

Ultimately I am not keeping in touch with my followers, if any.. :-), and I do apologize. It is true that I got a bit dry in term of writing inspiration, it has never been my main strength and I am still at a moment of my life where I question a lot of things that will direct my next 20 years. But that will be for another time! What I wanted to talk about today was the multiplication of violent videos on the main social media since the organization of the 2014 edition of the FIFA World Cup. Facebook is currently an easier way to express your revolt upon injustice, even if it seems sometimes futile and useless you can still vent off, therefore the video came out of this platform but it could easily have come out of twitter or Google+. I decided to comment on the last of these videos, being short it wot be a problem and it symbolize a current revolt of the Brazilians against a restricted fraction of their police force behaving like during the old days where they were empowered to do a bit of whatever they wanted. That was 40 years ago. It is easy to generalize, then you end up discriminating and not trusting an entire task force over the act of a small fraction. Therefore I would like to see the entire history behind this video's event. Like I said earlier, I see many videos of outrageous happenings, but nobody mentions why we arrived at this point of violence. In this video, what did this guy in shorts do? Who is he? Are the cops really policemen, militia or actors who are finding a reason to revolt the mob (now any fantasy can seem real with a camera of poor quality, like in "Blair Witch" or "Clover Field" where they can hide cheap visual effects with bad camera)? A phrase that is out of context can be very misunderstood, fundamentalists use it as a basic enrollment techniques (whether Christian, Jews or Muslim fundamentalists). The same thing can happen with a video. I want to have a fair point of view based on irrefutable arguments and not driven by emotion and part-witnessed violence from an event without which we don't know neither why nor how nor the parties involved.




Aucun commentaire: